4.5 kg leg of pork pickled (gammon) with bone
4 L apple juice
2 cinnamon sticks, cracked
2 bay leaves, cracked
Pinch nutmeg, freshly ground
60 cloves to stud ham
200 mL sweet apple cider
100 g castor sugar
¼ tsp nutmeg, ground
100 mL runny honey
100 g red currants
- Cooking Instructions:
- Place the pork leg flat side down into a large saucepan and
pour in the apple juice. Add the cinnamon quills, bay leaves
and nutmeg to the pot.
- Simmer gently over a low heat for two hours. If the liquid
level begins to drop top up with extra juice or water. Remove and
- Using a sharp knife remove the rind (skin from the leg)
carefully to expose the fat.
- Score the fat into diamonds and stud the ham with cloves.
- Pre-heat oven to 170°C.
- Combine the apple cider, sugar, nutmeg and honey into a small
saucepan and heat over a low heat until sugar has dissolved and
continue to boil until liquid is reduced by half.
- Place ham into a large baking dish and brush with the
- Bake ham in the pre-heated oven at 170°C for 1 hour basting
- Serve hot with festive roasted vegetables and red
Notes: apple cider may be replaced with champagne or