Cafe style bacon and egg roll with roasted tomato and capsicum relish
Prep time 60 minutes Cook time 10 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •4-6 soft damper rolls, lightly toasted
- •10-12 rashers Australian bacon, grilled
- •4-6 eggs (poached or fried)
- •4-6 slices Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- •50g baby salad leaves
- •½ cup quality mayonnaise
- •1kg small ripe tomatoes, halved
- •2 tablespoons olive oil
- •3 red capsicum, diced
- •Salt and pepper
- •1 onion, finely chopped
- •½ cup brown sugar
- •¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- •1 teaspoon seeded mustard
- 1.To prepare the relish, place tomatoes, oil, capsicum, salt and pepper in a large bowl and toss well to coat with oil.
- 2.In a medium saucepan sauté the onion with a little oil, then stir in the brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and seeded mustard. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3.Add the tomatoes and capsicum to the saucepan and simmer for a further 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool and use as required.
- 4.To prepare your egg and bacon roll, heat oil in a fry pan. Cook bacon for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Wipe out pan.
- 5.Heat oil in frying pan and cook eggs to your liking.
- 6.Spread the toasted damper roll top and bottom with the mayonnaise. Place a few salad leaves on the base, top with a slices of cheese, an egg, 2-3 rashers of bacon and finally a dollop of relish.
- 7.Place the lid of the roll on top and serve wrapped with grease proof paper.
The relish is also delicious if balsamic vinegar and seeded mustard is replaced with BBQ sauce prior to simmering.