Cherry, Mustard & Balsamic Glazed Leg of Ham
Prep time 20 minutes Cook time 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves 16 people
- •1 x 7-8 kg ham leg, skin removed
- •Fresh cherries, to serve
- •Dijon mustard, to serve
Cherry, Mustard & Balsamic Glaze
- •¾ cup cherry jam
- •¼ cup brown sugar
- •¼ cup Dijon mustard
- •1 tablespoon caramelised balsamic vinegar
- 1.Preheat oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan-forced.
- 2.Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, score the ham fat (not the flesh) crossways in ½ cm wide intervals.
- 3.Wrap the ham hock in foil (this prevents it from burning). Place ham on a greased rack in a large baking dish lined with foil. For ease, use a large disposable foil roasting dish.
- 4.To make the glaze, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring, over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 5.Brush the ham fat two to three times to evenly coat with the glaze.
- 6.Roast, for 1 hour, brushing with remaining glaze every 15 minutes, or until ham is golden and caramelised. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- 7.If the glaze thickens on standing, warm the glaze over low heat so it spreads easily over the ham.
- 8.Slice and serve warm or cold with cherries and extra Dijon mustard.