Chinese Five Spice Braised Pork Belly
Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 2 hours 15 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •2 tbsp vegetable oil
- •1kg boneless pork belly or rashers, cut into 3cm cubes
- •3cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- •2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- •6 shallots, finely chopped
- •2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
- •2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- •1 tbsp light soy sauce
- •1 tbsp fish sauce
- •¼ cup brown sugar
- •1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- •2 star anise
- •2 bay leaves
- •Water to cover the pork belly
- •steamed rice
- 1.Heat oil in a heavy based pot over medium-high heat. Add pork stirring from time to time, and cook for 5-6 minutes until nicely browned. Add ginger, garlic and shallots and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- 2.Add remaining ingredients and just enough water to cover the pork belly. Stir well. Cover pot and reduce heat to low then allow pork to braise slowly for approximately 2 hours, or until pork is tender and the liquid has reduced by two-thirds.
- 3.Garnish with spring onions and serve immediately with steamed rice.