Chinese Pork Fritters
Prep time 25 minutes Cook time 30 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •1 tablespoon vegetable olive oil + extra oil for frying
- •500g pork mince
- •2 tablespoons soy sauce
- •1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
- •1 egg, whisked
- •1 tablespoon sesame oil
- •1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- •2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- •1 cup chilled soda water
- •4 thin green onions (shallots), trimmed and sliced into thin 4cm batons
- •1 large carrot, cut into thin 6cm matchsticks
- •225g can sliced water chestnuts, drained, rinsed and roughly chopped
- •Shredded green onions (shallots), to serve
Soy & chilli dipping sauce
- •¼ cup soy sauce
- •2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
- •½ teaspoon caster sugar
- •1 long red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1.To make the soy & chilli dipping sauce, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- 2.Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced.
- 3.Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add pork mince and cook, breaking up pork with a wooden spoon, for 1 minute.
- 4.Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and cook, stirring occasionally and continue to break up the pork mince, for 5 minutes or until pork is cooked and liquid has been absorbed. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- 5.Combine flour, egg, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and remaining soy sauce in a large bowl. Pour in soda water and whisk until a smooth batter forms. Stir in cooled pork, green onions, carrot and water chestnuts. Mix until well combined.
- 6.Pour vegetable oil into a large saucepan until 5cm deep. Heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Use two dessertspoons to form 2 tablespoons of mixture into a rough fritter shape. Carefully spoon fritter mixture into the oil and cook fritters, in batches, for 5 minutes, turning once, or until golden and cooked through. Place fritters on a tray lined with paper towel and keep warm in low heat oven while cooking each batch.
- 7.Arrange fritters on a serving platter. Scatter with shredded green onions and serve with the soy & chilli dipping sauce.