Crackling pork leg roast with roasted potatoes and festive green salad
Serves 6 people
- •2kg pork leg roast rind on and scored
- •2 tablespoons oil
- •1 tablespoon sea salt
- •1kg potatoes, peeled & halved
- •200g salad greens
- •2 small lebanese cucumbers, halved & sliced
- •½ cup green peas, cooked
- •100g smooth feta cheese, cubed
- •1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- •120ml balsamic dressing
- 1.Preheat oven to 240⁰C.
- 2.Remove pork leg roast from packaging taking note of weight and pat dry with paper towel. (See notes for extra crackling tips)
- 3.Place roast onto a wire rack in the kitchen sink and pour over a jug of boiling water. Pat the rind dry with paper towel.
- 4.Rub the rind well with oil and sea salt massaging well into the scored areas.
- 5.Place the pork leg roast on the wire rack into a deep roasting pan and place the leg roast into the preheated oven 240⁰C for 40 minutes. Do not open oven door during this period.
- 6.Reduce oven temperature to 180⁰C for the remaining cooking time allow 30-35 minutes per kg. Add potatoes to the roasting pan.
- 7.Remove pork from the oven and allow to rest in the roasting pan 10-15 minutes prior slicing.
- 8.Serve pork hot with roasted potatoes and festive salad.
If time allows, leave the scored roast uncovered in the fridge for 1 hour, or ideally overnight. This process further dries the rind and aids the crackling process. Making crackling is easy, dry out your rind and preheat your oven prior to cooking.