Crackling roast pork with vegetables and gravy
Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 2 hours 30 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •2 kg piece boned pork shoulder, skin on
- •Olive oil
- •Coarse sea salt
Vegetables to roast
- •4 potatoes, halved
- •9 small red onions, peeled
- •3-4 wedges of pumpkin, seeds removed
- •4 carrots, peeled
- •4 tablespoons plain flour
- •3½ cups chicken stock
- •Freshly ground pepper and salt
- 1.Preheat the oven to 240°C.
- 2.Using a sharp knife, score the skin of the pork, being careful to not cut into the meat.
- 3.Rub the whole piece of pork with olive oil and massage into the skin, then sprinkle generously with sea salt and rub over the scored skin.
- 4.Place the roast onto a rack within a roasting pan and into the preheated oven for 50 minutes or until the rind is golden crackling (take 10 minutes off the crackling time if your roast is over 2kgs).
- 5.Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C and continue to cook the roast for 70 minutes (30-35mins per kg of meat)
- 6.When the pork has been roasting for 30 minutes, add the prepared vegetables to the roasting pan.
- 7.Remove the roasted pork and vegetables from the oven and leave to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- 8.Make gravy using the roasting juices mixed with the flour, stirring until well combined. Reduce the heat and stir often until the mixture is well browned, taking care that the mixture does not burn.
- 9.Add in the stock, bring to the boil, stirring constantly then slowly simmer for 5 minutes. Season with pepper and salt and serve with roast and vegetables.
Pork leg can be used in place of pork shoulder for this recipe.