Crispy Pork Belly Tacos
Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 3 hours 30 minutes
Serves 5 people
The crispy pork belly takes these tacos to the next level. The whole family will love putting together their favourite mix of fresh flavours.
- •700g Australian pork belly, skin on and bone in
- •Olive oil
- •10 small soft tacos
- •Lime wedges
- •400g tinned refried beans
Black Bean Salsa
- •400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- •3 ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- •½ cup of coriander
- •2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos, finely diced
- •Salt and pepper to taste
- •½ cup red cabbage, finely sliced
- •½ cup white cabbage, finely sliced
- •½ cup coriander, chopped
- •4 spring onions, finely sliced
- •2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- •2 tablespoons chipotle sauce
- •Juice of 1 lime
- 1.Preheat the oven to 150°C. Using a sharp knife, score the pork belly skin and rub over olive oil and salt. Place the pork on a wire rack inside a deep baking tray half filled with water and roast in the oven for 3 hours. Turn the oven to grill and crisp up the skin, watching carefully so it doesn’t burn. Remove from oven and set aside.
- 2.Mix all of the salsa ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- 3.Mix all of the slaw ingredients together in a bowl and set aside. Mix all of the mayo ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- 4.Heat the refried beans in a pot over the stove. Meanwhile, heat the soft tacos in the oven wrapped in tin foil. Remove the bones from the pork belly and slice into pieces, ensuring each piece includes a crispy bit of skin.
- 5.To assemble your taco, place the refried beans, slaw and mayo on first, then cover with the sliced pork and finish with the salsa and freshly squeezed lime juice.