Crispy Pork Belly Bites
Prep time 30 minutes Cook time 1 hour 20 minutes
Serves 10 people
This delicious pork belly can also be served as a main meal when teamed with an Asian salad and steamed jasmine rice.
- •1 x 2 kg piece boneless pork belly (see tip in general information tab)
- •1 tablespoon olive oil
- •2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- •Shredded green onions (shallots), to serve
Sticky Tamarind & Chilli Jam
- •2 teaspoons peanut oil
- •1 tablespoon finely shredded ginger
- •2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- •1 long red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- •¼ cup caster sugar
- •1 ½ tablespoons tamarind puree
- •2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1.Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan forced. Using a sharp knife, score pork rind at 1cm intervals. Rub with oil and sea salt.
- 2.Place a rack in a large roasting pan. Pour 3 cups of water into the roasting pan. Place pork skin side-up on the rack. Roast pork for 40-45 minutes or until the skin is golden and crackled.
- 3.Reduce heat to 170°C/150°C fan-forced and roast for a further 40 minutes or until the pork is very tender.
- 4.Meanwhile, to make the sticky tamarind jam, heat oil in a small saucepan over high heat. Add ginger, garlic and chilli and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Reduce heat to low. Add ¼ cup of water, sugar, tamarind puree and fish sauce. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes or until the jam is thick and sticky. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 5.Remove pork from oven. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Slice pork into small squares. Arrange pork on a platter. Serve with sticky tamarind jam and shredded green onions.
For the best crackling, place the pork belly skin side-up onto a tray lined with baking paper and refrigerate overnight to dry out the rind.
Remove the pork belly from the fridge 1 hour before scoring the skin.