Crispy roast pork belly with sweet orange vinegar
Prep time 30 minutes Cook time 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •1.5kg pork belly
- •1 tablespoon sea salt
- •Olive oil
- •Freshly ground black pepper
- •Orange vinegar
- •½ cup brown sugar
- •½ cup verjuice
- •¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- •1 cinnamon stick, cracked
- •1 star anise, cracked
- •2 oranges, zested and juiced
- •Sea salt to taste
- 1.Score the pork belly rind with a sharp Stanley knife into thin strips.
- 2.Rub the rind with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Allow to stand for 20 minutes. Remove salt with a paper towel.
- 3.Place the pork belly skin side down in a baking pan. Drizzle with a little more oil and season.
- 4.Cook for 30 minutes then turn pork belly and reduce heat to 190°C for a further 30-40 minutes. Belly will be crisp and golden. Remove and cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- 5.Combine the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer over a low heat until vinegar is syrupy.
- 6.Serve pork belly sliced and drizzled with orange vinegar.
Vinegar may be flavoured with apple or plum for a delicious difference.