Easy Pork Hock Casserole
Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 3 hours 30 minutes
Serves 4 people
The combination of moist and dry heat allows a unique texture to pork hocks – fine crackle and tender meat.
- •2 pork hocks (rear hocks are preferable)
- •1 tablespoon oil
- •sea salt flakes and freshly-ground black pepper
- •2 cups finely-diced vegetables (onion, celery, fennel, garlic)
- •1 litre vegetable juice
- 1.Preheat oven to 160°C. Rub the pork hocks with oil then season generously with salt and pepper.
- 2.Sear in a large heavy-based frying pan set over a moderate heat for 10 minutes, until well-browned.
- 3.Transfer to a lidded casserole dish with the vegetables and juice, then bake for 2½ hours, until tender.
- 4.Increase oven to 230°C and bake for a final 45 minutes