Easy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 6 hours
Serves 8 people
Make dinner time simple with this delicious pulled pork base recipe. Check out some of the tasty recipes you can make with this base below:
- •1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- •1 tablespoon ground cumin
- •2.5kg boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and rind removed (see general information for tips)
- •½ cup chicken stock
- •1 ½ cups good-quality smokey (or Hickory flavoured) barbecue sauce
- •2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1.Combine paprika and cumin in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Rub pork all over with the spice mixture. * For oven instructions see general information tab*
- 2.Place pork into a slow cooker. Combine stock, barbecue sauce and mustard in a bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- 3.Pour mixture evenly over pork. Cover and cook for 6 hours on high or until pork is very tender when tested with a fork.
- 4.Turn off heat and stand for 20 minutes.
- 5.Transfer pork to a baking dish. Shred pork with 2 forks.
- 6.Stir 2 cups cooking juices through the pork.
- 7.Use shredded pork immediately or chill in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Boned pork shoulder is often sold in a netting to secure the meat. Ensure you remove the netting before cooking the pork. To remove the rind, turn the shoulder on its side and cut along the edge of the skin pulling away the rind as you go.
One cup of pulled pork (with the sauce) weighs about 150g.
- Prepare pork as per method point 1.
- Place into a large roasting pan.
- Increase stock to 1 cup and combine with barbecue sauce and mustard in a bowl.
- Pour mixture evenly over pork, toss to coat pork.
- Cover the pan tightly with baking paper and then foil.
- Bake at 140°C fan-forced for 6 hours or until pork is very tender.
- Check liquid levels in the pan halfway during cooking and add more stock if necessary to keep the liquid level to at least 2cm.
- Remove from oven and stand for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Shred pork and stir through pan juices.