Fool proof roast pork belly
Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •1kg Australian pork belly
- •1 tablespoons oil
- •1 tablespoons flaked salt
- •Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1.Remove your roast from the packaging and pat dry with paper towel. With a small sharp knife, deeply score the rind at 1cm intervals, being careful to not cut into the meat. If time allows, leave the scored roast uncovered in the fridge for 1 hour, or ideally overnight. This process further dries the rind and aids the crackling process.
- 2.When you’re ready to cook, put your pork on a wire rack in the sink and pour a jug of boiling water over the rind. Pat dry thoroughly with paper towel.
- 3.Rub the roast with the oil and salt (more if you like salty crackling), making sure the oil and salt penetrate the scores.
- 4.Place the roast on a wire rack inside a baking tray and cook at 240°C (max 250°C conventional) until the rind crackles, up to 50 minutes.
- 5.Turn the oven down to 180°C and cook for 25 minutes.
- 6.Once cooked, let the roast rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Note: to achieve great crackling, getting the oven temperature correct is critical. We recommend the use of an “oven thermometer” to verify that the stated oven temperature is accurate.