Hawaiian Pork Pitas
Prep time 20 minutes Cook time 4 minutes
Serves 8 people
These Australian pork pitas are a great lunch treat that the whole family is sure to enjoy.Recipe courtesy of New Zealand Pork
- •400g Australian pork fillet, sliced
- •1 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- •4-8 rashers Australian rindless streaky bacon
- •8 mini wholemeal pita bread
- •8 1cm round slices of fresh pineapple, cored removed and halved
- •8 tablespoons fresh tomato sauce or bottled tomato pasta sauce
- •8 tablespoons grated cheese
- •8 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- •8 handfuls rocket leaves
- 1.Preheat a barbecue grill or flat plate to hot.
- 2.Place the pork slices in a bowl and drizzle over a little olive oil. Add the ground cumin, if using, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Using the barbecue flat plate (or heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat), cook the pork slices (in batches), for 1 minute on each side. Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile place bacon rashers on the hot flat plate and cook until crisp. Cut in half if using 4 rashers.
- 3.Chargrill the pita bread until warm and a few dark grill lines appear on each side. Set aside. Place on the pineapple slices and grill, turning once until dark grill lines appear.
- 4.Lay out pita bread and spread 1 tablespoon tomato sauce onto each. Top with pineapple slices, pork slices, bacon and grated cheese. Drizzle over barbecue sauce and finish with rocket leaves.