Italian Pork Sausage & Tomato Soup
Prep time 25 minutes Cook time 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves 5 people
- •500g Italian-style pork sausages, casings removed
- •1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- •1 large red onion, finely chopped
- •3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- •2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- •2 medium carrots, diced
- •2 x 400g cans peeled whole tomatoes
- •3 cups chicken stock
- •3 bay leaves
- •½ teaspoon sugar
- •1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- •Crusty bread, to serve
- 1.Using about 1 heaped teaspoon of sausage filling per ball, form into small meatballs.
- 2.Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Brown sausage meatballs in 2 batches, until golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- 3.Add remaining oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
- 4.Add celery and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes
- 5.Add tomatoes to the pan and break up with a wooden spoon. Add stock, bay leaves and sugar. Cover and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- 6.Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Add sausage meatballs and simmer, stirring occasionally, for a further 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and soup is thick. Season to taste. Stir through parsley. Serve with crusty bread.