Justine’s Christmas Ham
Prep time 20 minutes Cook time 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves 10 people
- •1 x 8-10 kg Australian ham leg
- •Cloves, to stud
- •1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- •3/4 cup marmalade
- •Juice of 1 orange
- •1 tablespoon tamarind paste*
- •30 ml brandy
- 1.Preheat the oven to 170°C & lower rack to bottom shelf.
- 2.Cut around the hock & with the tip of a small knife, around the leg to loosen skin. Carefully peel skin back with the knife & your hands, ensuring the fat is kept intact. Score a crisscross pattern in the fat. Stud with cloves.
- 3.Place the ham on a rack in a large baking tray that fits in your oven.
- 4.In a small saucepan add the glaze ingredients & bring to the boil, whisking to combine well. Cook for 5 min or until thick. Add a little water or juice if it needs.
- 5.Using a pastry brush, dab 1/3 of the glaze over the ham. Add 1 cup of water to the tray.
- 6.Bake in the oven for 1-1 ½ hrs, basting every 20 min until a thick & glazed crust forms.
- 7.Rest for at least 30 min before carving.
*can be found at all supermarkets in the Asian aisle.