Mexican Pork Meatball Subs
Prep time 25 minutes Cook time 15 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •500g pork mince
- •3 green onions (shallots), trimmed and finely sliced
- •35g sachet taco seasoning
- •2 cups grated tasty cheese
- •375g jar thick ‘n chunky tomato salsa
- •4 long crusty bread rolls
- •Chopped pickled jalapeno chillies and coriander leaves, to serve
- 1.To make meatballs, combine pork mince, green onions, taco seasoning and 1 cup grated cheese in a large bowl. Mix until well combined. Roll mince mixture into 20 meatballs. Place onto a tray lined with baking paper. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2.Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook meatballs, in batches and turning occasionally, for 5 minutes until evenly browned. Pour salsa and ½ cup water into pan. Stir until combined.
- 3.Bring mixture to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- 4.Meanwhile, cutting all the way through, split each bread roll lengthways through the centre on the top side of the roll. Place rolls on an oven rack and heat for 5 minutes or until warmed.
- 5.Spoon meatballs and tomato salsa into bread rolls. Sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 6-8 minutes until cheese melts. Serve subs with chopped pickled jalapeno chillies and coriander leaves.