Nagi’s Chinese Crispy Pork Belly
Prep time 20 minutes Cook time 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves 6 people
- •800 - 1.2kg pork belly
- •1½ tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- •1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- •1 teaspoon white pepper
- •1 teaspoon salt
- •1 tablespoon white vinegar
- •200g rock salt
- 1.Use something sharp to prick lots and lots of holes in the skin. You can pierce a bit into the fat but be sure not to prick through to the skin.
- 2.Turn pork over and gradually drizzle / rub wine all over flesh (inc sides) - the pork absorbs it.
- 3.Rub in five spice, salt and pepper. Turn over, pat skin dry. Refrigerate overnight, uncovered.
- 4.Place on large piece of foil, fold up sides (see video). Pat skin dry. Brush with vinegar, top with salt.
- 5.Bake for 60 minutes at 180°C. Remove pork, move shelf to lowest position, flick to medium high grill/broiler.
- 6.Fold down foil, scrape off all salt. Transfer pork back onto tray. Grill/broil on low shelf for 20 – 25 min or until golden and crispy. Cut into 1.5cm thick slices, then cut into 3 or 4 pieces. Serve with plain or hot mustard.
Can also be served with white sugar. I use hot mustard, it is PERFECT with the rich pork!
TIP: See recipe on my site HERE for how to make this WITHOUT PRICKING SKIN!! (It’s foolproof. You’ll be blown away!)