Northern Italian pork lasagne
Prep time 45 minutes Cook time 45 minutes
Serves 6 people
- •500g lean pork and beef mince
- •1 tablespoon oil
- •1 onion, finely chopped
- •1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- •40g tomato paste
- •400g diced tomato
- •500g bolognese sauce
- •8 fresh lasagne sheets
- •500g ricotta cheese
- •3 eggs
- •½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- •Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- •6 eggs
- •12 slices Australian leg ham
- •1 cup Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1.Heat oil in a large saucepan and brown pork and beef mince well. Add onions, garlic and tomato paste cook for a further 2 minutes.
- 2.Add the diced tomatoes and bolognese sauce, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat & cool.
- 3.Whisk together the ricotta cheese, eggs and Parmesan cheese until well combined.
- 4.Spoon 1/3 of the bolognese into the base of a 30 cm x 15 cm deep baking dish. Top with 2 sheets of lasagne overlapped to fit dish.
- 5.Spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture over the pasta and top 1/3 of the meat sauce. Top with another layer of pasta sheets.
- 6.Spread pasta with another 1/3 of ricotta mixture, break the eggs randomly over the ricotta mixture, place folds of ham over the eggs and top with another layer of pasta sheets. Spread over the remaining bolognese sauce and dollop over the remaining ricotta cheese mixture. Finish with grated mozzarella cheese.
- 7.Bake lasagna in the preheated oven 170⁰C for 45 minutes. Cool 10 minutes prior to slicing and serving.
Bolognese sauce may be prepared well ahead of time and used cold to prepare lasagna.