Oven-Grilled Pork Belly Strips with Worcestershire Glaze
Serves 4 people
Oven-grilling is a technique that was widely popular in Australia in the 1980s and 1990s, but has fallen out of favour. It is best suited to items that are thin, hence 1cm thick pork belly rashers are perfect. The real trick is understanding that every oven grill is different, as are the distances at which the racks can be placed. It may take a little trial to perfect the cooking time.
- •600g pork belly rashers, 1cm thick
- •2 teaspoons oil
- •¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- •2 tablespoon tomato sauce
- •juice of 1 lemon
- •1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1.Preheat oven grill to high, and arrange oven rack 15cm below grill. Toss pork rashers in oil, then arrange on a baking tray lined with foil.
- 2.Grill the pork belly rashers for 4 minutes each side, until lightly browned and firm to touch.
- 3.Mix the Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, lemon juice and brown sugar then brush onto the rashers. Cook for 3 more minutes, until glazed.