Pan-Fried Spare Ribs with Warm Tex-Mex Salsa
Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 20 minutes
Serves 6 people
Spare ribs, like most pork cuts, adapt to spice well. The advantage in this recipe is speed. Because the ribs are ready in just 20 minutes, the spice flavour remains bright and aromatic, without dulling through over-cooking.
- •800g pork spare ribs
- •sea salt flakes and freshly-ground black pepper
- •2 tablespoons oil
- •1 red onion, finely sliced
- •8 cloves garlic, minced
- •2 cups mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, black beans, peas, capsicums)
- •1 punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
- •1 bunch oregano, chopped
- •1 tablespoon Mexican spice mix
- 1.Season the spare ribs generously with salt and pepper, then rub with oil.
- 2.Sear skin side-down in a large frying pan set over a low-moderate heat for 12 minutes, until beginning to crisp.
- 3.Fry on each side for 3 minutes, then set aside.
- 4.Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 3 minutes, then mix in the vegetables, tomatoes, oregano and spice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the spare ribs topped with vegetable mixture.