Porchetta with Balsamic Roasted Grapes
Prep time 30 minutes Cook time 2 hours 15 minutes
Serves 6 people
- •2.5kg boneless pork shoulder, unrolled and skin on (see tip)
- •Kitchen string
- •1 ½ tablespoons fennel seeds
- •2 tablespoons olive oil
- •5 garlic cloves, chopped
- •½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- •½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- •¼ cup thyme leaves
- •1 ½ tablespoons rosemary leaves
- •8 sage leaves
- •2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- •Leafy green salad, to serve
Balsamic roasted grapes
- •400g seedless purple grapes, stems removed
- •Olive oil, for drizzling
- •3 teaspoons caramelised balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze
- 1.Preheat oven to 240°C
- 2.Roast fennel seeds in a small frying pan over medium heat until fragrant and golden. Place in mortar and pestle or food processor/blender to crush the seeds. Add oil, garlic, chilli flakes and herbs and pulverise until a coarse paste forms. Stir through lemon rind.
- 3.Score pork rind at 1cm intervals. Turn over the pork so skin side is down and meat side up. Using the tip of a sharp knife, prick the pork meat all over to help infuse flavours (do not cut through the fat). Rub with the fennel seed mixture and spread out evenly.
- 4.Roll the pork tightly back up to enclose the filling. Secure at 2cm intervals with kitchen string.
- 5.Rub pork rind dry with paper towel then rub with oil then salt. Place into a roasting pan and roast for 40-45 minutes until crackling is puffed and golden.
- 6.Reduce heat to 180°C and roast for an additional 25-30 mins per kg (approx. 1.5hrs). Once done, remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 15 minutes.
- 7.Meanwhile, place grapes on a baking tray and drizzle with oil and balsamic vinegar or glaze. Toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 12-15 minutes until tender.
- 8.Slice pork and serve with roasted grapes and a leafy green salad.
For the best crackling, place the pork skin side-up onto a tray lined with baking paper and refrigerate overnight to dry out the rind.
Remove the pork from the fridge 1 hour before scoring the skin