Pork and Apple Pasties
Prep time 40 minutes Cook time 50 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •500g pork fillets, cut into 2cm cubes
- •2 tablespoons olive oil
- •1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- •1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- •1 medium (180g) Desiree potato, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- •1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and grated
- •1 tablespoon plain flour
- •2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- •¾ cup chicken stock
- •2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- •6 sheets frozen ready-rolled short crust pastry, partially thawed
- •1 egg, whisked
- •Tomato chutney or tomato sauce, to serve
- 1.Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add pork and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
- 2.Add onion, carrot and potato to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until softening.
- 3.Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium heat. Add grated apple. Sprinkle over flour, stir and cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce. Gradually add stock, stirring, until well combined. Bring mixture to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add pork and thyme to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- 4.Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Using a 14cm cutter, cut 2 rounds from each pastry sheet. Spoon 1/3 cup pork mixture into centre of each round. Brush edges with cold water. Bring pastry edges together to form a semi-circle. Pinch and crimp edges together to seal.
- 5.Place pasties onto prepared trays and brush with egg. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Serve with tomato chutney or tomato sauce.