Pork belly sub with crackling
Prep time 15 minutes Cook time 1 hour 25 minutes
Serves 6 people
- •1kg pork belly roast, rind on, boneless
- •Salt flakes
- •1 red apple, finely julienne
- •1 cucumber, shaved
- •1 carrot, finely julienne
- •2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- •1 teaspoon salt
- •1 teaspoon sugar
- •Japanese mayo and tomato sauce
- •Crusty sub rolls
- •Fresh hot potato chips to serve
- 1.Place the pork belly onto a chopping board and pat the rind dry with paper towel, score the pork rind thinly with a sharp knife.
- 2.Rub the rind with a little oil and sprinkle with flaked salt.
- 3.Place the pork belly into a shallow roasting dish and roast in the preheated oven 240⁰C for 30 minutes.
- 4.Reduce oven temperature to 180⁰C and cook for a further 40 minutes. Remove pork belly from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes prior to cutting into small bite sized squares.
- 5.Prepare slaw ingredients toss well in a small bowl with cider vinegar, sugar and salt.
- 6.To serve, cut crusty roll in half across the top of each roll, drizzle a little Japanese mayo on the base of the roll, top with slaw and arrange crispy pork belly squares over slaw. Serve with hot potato chips and dipping sauces.
Pork belly may be cooked ahead of time and reheated in the oven when required. A deliciously simple dish that is sure to become a family favourite. Pork belly may also be replaced with pulled pork.