Pork Cottage Pie
Prep time 25 minutes Cook time 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves 6 people
- •1kg pork mince
- •1 x 350g tub Bolognese base mix vegetables (see tip)
- •1 tablespoon olive oil
- •2 garlic cloves, crushed
- •2 tablespoons plain flour
- •2 tablespoons tomato paste
- •1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- •400g can diced tomatoes
- •2 cups beef stock
- •1 cup grated tasty cheese
- •Leafy green salad and chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
Mashed Potato Topping
- •1kg potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- •60g butter
- •¼ cup milk
- 1.Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add Bolognese vegetable mixture and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring often, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- 2.Add pork to pan. Cook, breaking up the mince with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until evenly browned. Sprinkle over flour, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- 3.Stir in tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes and stock. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4.While pork mixture is simmering, to make the mashed potato topping, place potatoes in a saucepan of salted water and bring to the boil over high heat. Gently boil for 12 minutes or until tender; drain. Return potatoes to pan and toss over low heat for 1 minute to dry potatoes. Remove from heat. Add 40g butter and milk. Mash until smooth.
- 5.Spoon pork mixture into a 10-cup (about 6cm deep) baking dish. Place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Dollop mashed potato over pork mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Dot with remaining butter. Bake for 40-45 minutes until potato is golden and pork mixture is bubbling. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve with a leafy green salad and a sprinkle of chopped parsley.