Pork, Fennel and Brown Rice Risotto
Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 25 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- •600g pork medallion or leg steaks, cut into 2cm pieces
- •1 large or 2 small pieces of fennel, fronds separated
- •1 leek, chopped
- •250g swiss brown mushrooms
- •3 garlic cloves, chopped
- •1 tbs chopped thyme leaves
- •1 ½ cups brown rice
- •1 cup dry white wine
- •1L chicken stock, warmed
- •½ cup grated parmesan, rind reserved
- •1 lemon, juiced
- •125g baby spinach
- 1.Heat the oil in a deep frypan over medium high heat.
- 2.Season the pork and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden. Remove pork from the pan, leaving any remaining oil in the pan.
- 3.Chop half the fennel bulb and add to the pan with the leek and mushrooms. Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened then add the garlic and thyme and cook for a further minute until fragrant.
- 4.Add the rice and cook for 1-2 minutes until toasted then add the wine. Add the stock and bring to a simmer, cooking until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- 5.Return the pork to the pan and stir through with parmesan and half the spinach, adding a little more hot water if needed. Remove from the heat.
- 6.Finely shave the remaining fennel head using a mandolin. Toss in the lemon juice and olive oil and remaining spinach leaves and season. Serve salad with the risotto.