Pork Meatball Parmigiana
Prep time 25 minutes Cook time 40 minutes
Serves 5 people
- •1kg pork mince
- •5 garlic cloves, crushed
- •2 eggs, lightly beaten
- •¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- •½ cup grated parmesan
- •2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- •1 tablespoon olive oil
- •1 brown onion, finely chopped
- •700g jar cherry tomato pasta sauce or tomato passata
- •1 ½ cups grated mozzarella cheese
- •Leafy green salad and crusty bread, to serve
- 1.To make meatballs, combine pork mince, 3 cloves crushed garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, parmesan and lemon rind in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Using ¼ cup mince mixture per meatball, roll into balls. Place on a tray, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2.Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Heat oil in a large deep oven-proof frying pan over medium heat. Cook meatballs, in batches turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until evenly browned. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- 3.Add onion and remaining 2 cloves crushed garlic to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until tender. Stir in tomato sauce or passata pasta sauce and bring to boil.
- 4.Add meatballs to pan. Stir to coat in tomato mixture. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover, stir and sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes until cheese melts.
- 5.Serve with a leafy green salad and crusty bread.
If you do not have a lid for your frying pan, you can simply cover the pan tightly with grease proof paper and foil.