Pork Sausage Meatball and Spinach Carbonara
Prep time 20 minutes Cook time 20 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •500g pork sausages (of your choice, see tip)
- •150g Australian rindless streaky bacon rashers, chopped
- •3 eggs
- •300mls light thickened cream
- •1 cup finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- •1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- •400g dried spaghetti
- •120g baby spinach leaves
- 1.Cut sausage casings open and roll the sausage filing into small (about 2cm wide) meatballs. Place onto a plate.
- 2.Whisk eggs, cream and parmesan in a large jug. Set aside.
- 3.Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes until crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- 4.Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pan over medium heat. Add sausage meatballs. Cook, tossing occasionally, for 10 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- 5.Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water following packet directions until just tender. Drain and return to saucepan.
- 6.Add egg mixture, sausage meatballs and spinach to the hot pasta tossing quickly to cook the eggs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, topped with bacon and sprinkled with extra parmesan cheese
There is a wide range of pork sausages available. We used pork and fennel – they are perfect in this carbonara.