Pork sausage, zucchini & tomato spaghetti
Prep time 15 minutes Cook time 15 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •400g spaghetti
- •2 tablespoons olive oil
- •500g thick Italian-style pork sausages
- •1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- •2 garlic cloves, crushed
- •300g zucchini, diced
- •½ cup dry white wine
- •200g tomato medley or cherry tomatoes, halved
- •1 tablespoon lemon juice
- •½ cup flat-leaf leaves parsley, roughly chopped
- •Extra virgin olive oil, grated Parmesan and lemon wedges, to serve
- 1.Cook spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions. Drain and set aside.
- 2.Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Snip the top off the sausage casings. Squeeze small rough pieces of the sausage meat into the pan and cook, turning often, until golden and almost cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- 3.Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes until onion is tender. Add zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add wine and cook for 1 minute.
- 4.Return sausage pieces to the pan, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes until hot. Toss through tomatoes and cook, tossing occasionally, until hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5.Add the spaghetti to the sausage mixture and toss over medium-low heat until hot. Toss through lemon juice and parsley. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with Parmesan and serve with lemon wedges.
Tip – if preferred, do not skin the sausages, simply slice the sausages instead of adding pieces of the sausage filling.