Pork schnitzel burger with chips
Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 5 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •4 lean pork leg steaks
- •½ cup plain flour
- •Salt and pepper to season
- •1 egg, beaten
- •¼ cup milk
- •2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- •1 lemon, zested
- •Oil to shallow fry
- •4 soft bread rolls, sliced in half
- •¼ cup dill mayonnaise or mustard to serve
- •4 slices Swiss cheese
- •4 slices pancetta, crisp
- •1 cup baby rocket leaves
- •Hot chips to serve
- 1.Flatten pork steaks to an even thickness.
- 2.Combine the flour, salt and pepper. Dust pork steaks with the seasoned flour.
- 3.Combine the egg and milk and dip the pork steaks into the mixture. Let any excess drip away.
- 4.Combine Panko crumbs and lemon zest well on a large flat plate, press pork steaks firmly into the mixture and coat well on both sides.
- 5.Heat oil in a large frying pan and shallow fry until golden for 2 minutes on each side. Drain well on absorbent paper.
- 6.Spread the cut rolls liberally with mayonnaise on the top and bottom. Place rocket on the base, cover with the pork schnitzel and top with cheese and pancetta. Replace the lid and serve with golden hot chips.
Schnitzels may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated on a tray covered with a baking sheet. Do not cover with plastic wrap as this makes the crumbs soft.