Pulled Pork Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Prep time 45 minutes Cook time 5 hours
Serves 5 people
This macaroni cheese with tasty pulled pork is a treat for those colder evenings. Recipe courtesy of New Zealand Pork
- •1.8kg boneless pork shoulder, fat trimmed
Ingredients for pulled pork:
- •1 onion, sliced
- •1 carrot, roughly chopped
- •1 bottle of ginger beer
- •1 cup BBQ sauce
Ingredients for macaroni cheese:
- •450g elbow macaroni
- •2 tablespoons butter
- •2 tablespoons flour
- •2 cups milk, warmed
- •4 cups grated cheese
- •1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1.In a slow cooker, add the pork, onion and carrot. Pour in the ginger beer and cook on low for 5 hours.
- 2.After 5 hours, pull the pork out of the slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- 3.Pour out the juice from the slow cooker and place the pork back in.
- 4.Add BBQ sauce and stir. Add more BBQ sauce if required. Cover and keep warm.
- 5.Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil over a high heat. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente. Drain pasta and set aside.
- 6.Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a casserole dish.
- 7.In a large frypan melt the butter over a medium heat. Once the butter is melted whisk in the flour.
- 8.Slowly whisk in the milk until smooth. Reduce the heat and whisk slowly until the sauce becomes thick and creamy.
- 9.Stir in the cheese, and cook until melted. Turn off heat and add the macaroni.
- 10.Pour the macaroni cheese into the casserole dish and top with pulled pork. Sprinkle with grated cheese and parsley.
- 11.Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins or until the top is golden and crunchy.