Pulled Pork Shepherd’s Pie
Prep time 20 minutes Cook time 35 minutes
Serves 5 people
Warm comfort food made easy with this classic shepherd’s pie recipe.
- •1 tablespoon olive oil
- •1 brown onion, chopped
- •2 garlic cloves, crushed
- •1 large carrot, diced
- •2 stalks celery, diced
- •2 tablespoons tomato paste
- •6 cups (900g) pulled pork – (see the description section above for the recipe)
- •1 cup frozen peas
Cheesy mash topping
- •800g brushed potatoes, peeled and cut into 5cm pieces
- •40g butter
- •¾ cup milk
- •1 ½ cups shredded tasty cheese
- 1.Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery.
- 2.Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes until tender.
- 3.Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 4.Stir through pulled pork and frozen peas. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5.Transfer pork mixture to a greased 12-cup (about 5cm deep) baking dish.
- 6.Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced.
- 7.To make the cheesy mash topping, place potatoes into a medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
- 8.Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until very tender.
- 9.Drain potatoes and return to the saucepan. Toss potatoes over high heat for 1 minute to dry.
- 10.Roughly mash potatoes. Add butter and milk. Mash until smooth. Stir through 1 cup cheese.
- 11.Spoon mash evenly over pork mixture. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese.
- 12.Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and mash is golden.
- 13.Serve with a green salad if liked.