Redcurrant, spice & balsamic glazed ham
Serves 17 people
- •1 x 7-8kg ham leg, skin removed
Spiced redcurrant & balsamic glaze
- •1 cup redcurrant jelly
- •¼ cup brown sugar
- •½ teaspoon all-spice
- •½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- •2 tablespoons caramelised balsamic vinegar
- •½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1.Preheat oven to 180˚C/160˚fan-forced.
- 2.To make the glaze, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until slightly thickened. Set aside to cool slightly.
- 3.Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, score the ham fat lengthways in 1cm intervals. Wrap the ham hock with foil (this prevents it from burning).
- 4.Place ham on a greased rack in a large baking dish lined with foil (see tip). Brush ham fat with half of the glaze. Roast for 55-65 minutes, brushing with remaining glaze every 15 minutes, until ham is golden and caramelised. Slice and serve warm or cold.
Tip – if preferred, for ease use a large disposable foil roasting dish.
Serving tip – remove the the foil and wrap the hock in baking paper, a strip of fabric and secure with string then wrap with a ribbon – perfect for the Christmas table.