San Choy Bow Vermicelli Salad Bowls
Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 15 minutes
Serves 6 people
- •¼ cup (60ml) peanut oil
- •250g mixed mushrooms, large ones halved (we used black fungus, shiitake, enoki and oyster mushrooms)
- •500g pork mince
- •8 green shallots, white part thinly sliced, green part sliced on the angle
- •3cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- •2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- •225g canned water chestnuts
- •¼ cup oyster sauce
- •⅓ cup light soy sauce
- •1 tbs sesame oil
- •250g rice vermicelli noodles
- •Juice of 1 lemon
- •1 bunch butter lettuce, leaves separated
- •8 baby cucumbers, quartered lengthwise
- 1.Heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil in a large fry pan or wok over high heat. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes or until slightly softened. Set aside on a plate.
- 2.Return pan to heat with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add pork and use the back of a masher to break apart in pan.
- 3.Cook until browned then add white part of shallots, ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, for a further 3 minutes.
- 4.Add oyster sauce, ¼ cup soy sauce and 2 teaspoons sesame oil and mix to combine. Add water chestnuts and return half the mushrooms to pan then stir through. Stir through half of the green shallots and set aside.
- 5.Prepare noodles as per packet instruction. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- 6.To make the dressing, combine remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 teaspoons sesame oil and lemon juice in a bowl.
- 7.To serve divide lettuce between bowls. Add mounds of noodles, spoon over sang choy bow mixture, and finish with cucumber, reserved mushrooms, and green shallots. Spoon over dressing and serve remaining alongside.