Sarah Tiong’s BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders
Prep time 4 hours Cook time 10 minutes
Serves 4 people
Pulled Pork Base Recipe
- •2.5-3kg Pork Shoulder
- •2 tablespoons salt
- •2 tablespoons ground toasted coriander seed
- •2 tablespoons ground toasted fennel seed
- •2 tablespoons ground toasted black pepper
- •2 large brown onions, finely chopped
- •5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- •1-2L Boiling water or stock
- •3 tablespoons oil
- •1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- •3-5 garlic cloves, finely grated
- •½ cup tomato sauce
- •¼ cup maple syrup
- •2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- •¼ cup white wine or apple cider vinegar
- •1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- •1 ½ tablespoons smokey tabasco
- •1 cup Bourbon or Whiskey
- •1 cup water
- 1.Adjust oven rack to lower position and preheat oven to 150°C. Bring the stock or water up to a boil in a separate pot.
- 2.Combine salt, sugar, coriander, fennel seed and black pepper in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Season pork with spice mixture, making sure to rub it on all sides.
- 3.Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat on the stove. Once the oil is hot, add pork and cook, turning occasionally, until well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and mix well.
- 4.Turn off the stove and add boiling water or stock about ½ way up the shoulder in the Dutch oven. Place the Dutch oven into the oven and cook for 4 hours at 150°C.
- 5.Transfer pork to a large bowl, reserving liquid in the Dutch oven. Skim off excess fat and discard.
- 6.Using 2 forks, shred (be careful not to shred too finely as this can cause it to dry out).
- 7.Whisk together the ingredients for the BBQ sauce. Combine with a few ladles of the reserved cooking liquid.
- 8.In a large saucepan, heat up the BBQ sauce. Add the shredded pork and combine well. Season as needed and serve burger style with slaw in a soft bun.
- 9.'Pulled Pork 4 Ways' extension recipe links in 'General Information' tab