Sarah Tiong’s Pulled Pork, Brussel Sprout & Apple Salad
Prep time 4 hours Cook time 10 minutes
Serves 4 people
Pulled Pork Base Recipe
- •2.5-3kg Pork Shoulder
- •2 tablespoons salt
- •2 tablespoons ground toasted coriander seed
- •2 tablespoons ground toasted fennel seed
- •2 tablespoons ground toasted black pepper
- •2 large brown onions, finely chopped
- •5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- •1-2L Boiling water or stock
- •6-8 Brussel sprouts, finely shredded
- •1 red apples, cut into thin matchsticks
- •1 handful of spinach leaves
- •4 tablespoons pulled pork cooking liquid
- •2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- •1 tablespoon oil
- •Pinch salt
- •Pinch pepper
- 1.Adjust oven rack to lower position and preheat oven to 150°C. Bring the stock or water up to a boil in a separate pot.
- 2.Combine salt, sugar, coriander, fennel seed and black pepper in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Season pork with spice mixture, making sure to rub it on all sides.
- 3.Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat on the stove. Once the oil is hot, add pork and cook, turning occasionally, until well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and mix well.
- 4.Turn off the stove and add boiling water or stock about ½ way up the shoulder in the Dutch oven. Place the Dutch oven into the oven and cook for 4 hours at 150°C.
- 5.Transfer pork to a large bowl, reserving liquid in the Dutch oven. Skim off excess fat and discard.
- 6.Using 2 forks, shred (be careful not to shred too finely as this can cause it to dry out).
- 7.For the salad, whisk together the reserved pulled pork cooking liquid, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- 8.Mix together the Brussel sprouts, apple and pork.
- 9.Add the dressing to the pork and toss well.
- 10.'Pulled Pork 4 Ways' extension recipe links in 'General Information' tab