Sarah Tiong’s Pulled Pork Tacos with Spicy Salsa
Serves 4 people
Pulled Pork Base Recipe
- •2.5-3kg Pork Shoulder
- •2 tablespoons salt
- •2 tablespoons ground toasted coriander seed
- •2 tablespoons ground toasted fennel seed
- •2 tablespoons ground toasted black pepper
- •2 large brown onions, finely chopped
- •5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- •1-2L Boiling water or stock
- •15 dried chillies (chipotle is great)
- •4 red capsicums
- •6 large red tomatoes
- •5 cloves of garlic
- •4 shallots
- •5 tablespoons olive oil
- •4 coriander roots
- •3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- •1 tablespoon salt
- •coriander & parsley, to serve
- 1.Adjust oven rack to lower position and preheat oven to 150°C. Bring the stock or water up to a boil in a separate pot.
- 2.Combine salt, sugar, coriander, fennel seed and black pepper in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Season pork with spice mixture, making sure to rub it on all sides.
- 3.Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat on the stove. Once the oil is hot, add pork and cook, turning occasionally, until well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and mix well.
- 4.Turn off the stove and add boiling water or stock about ½ way up the shoulder in the Dutch oven. Place the Dutch oven into the oven and cook for 4 hours at 150°C.
- 5.Transfer pork to a large bowl, reserving liquid in the Dutch oven. Skim off excess fat and discard.
- 6.Using 2 forks, shred (be careful not to shred too finely as this can cause it to dry out).
- 7.Re-hydrate the dried chillies by soaking them in warm water for 10 minutes.
- 8.In a large saucepan, heat up the BBQ sauce. Add the shredded pork and combine well. Season as needed and serve burger style with slaw in a soft bun.
- 9.Blacken the capsicums and tomatoes directly over a gas flame. Place the blackened capsicums in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 10 minutes. Then peel away the blackened skin. Keep seeds in or discard them if they're too spicy.
- 10.Drain the dried chillies and add them to a blender along with the salt, oil, vinegar, coriander roots, capsicum, tomatoes, garlic and shallots. Blend until a slightly chunky sauce.
- 11.Fill taco shells with shredded pork and sauce. Top with chopped coriander & parsley to serve.
- 12.'Pulled Pork 4 Ways' extension recipe links in 'General Information' tab
If preferred, you can combine the sauce & shredded pork before stuffing. Simply transfer the sauce to a saucepan and bring up to a simmer on medium heat. Add the shredded pork and combine well.
Tacos can also be served with pico de gallo, tortillas and avocado.
Sarah Tiong’s Pulled Pork 4 Ways:
- BBQ Style Sliders
- Tacos with Spicy Salsa (this recipe)
- Salad with Brussel Sprouts & Apple
- Pasta Linguine