Sausage Casserole in Cheese Sauce
Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves 6 people
Sausages are brilliant when cooked as a casserole, because they can really absorb the rich flavours in which they are immersed. When those flavours are rich and cheesy, well, everyone's the winner.
- •12 pork sausages
- •2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- •2 tablespoons plain flour
- •2 cups milk
- •½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- •¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- •½ tsp ground nutmeg
- •sea salt flakes and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1.Preheat oven to 160°C. Fry the sausages in a large heavy-based saucepan set over a low-moderate heat in the butter for 8-10 minutes, turning often, until browned and firm to touch. Set aside.
- 2.Add the flour to the pan and cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the milk and simmer until smooth. Fold in the cheeses and nutmeg, then season with salt and pepper.
- 3.Transfer to a lidded casserole dish with the sausages and bake for 1 hour.