Slow cooked chilli spiced pork belly
Prep time 8 hours Cook time 1 hour 40 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •1kg pork belly rind off
- •1 litre water
- •50g sea salt
- •200ml cranberry juice
- •250g plum sauce
- •2 red chillies
- •150g white sugar
- •4cm piece ginger, roughly chopped
- •Olive oil
- •Steamed baby bok choy
- •Mini vegetable & noodle spring rolls
- 1.Score the fat on the pork belly and trim.
- 2.Combine the salt and water together and whisk to dissolve.
- 3.Place the pork belly into a shallow non-metallic dish. Pour over the salted water, cover and allow to sit covered in the refrigerator for 8-24 hrs.
- 4.Remove belly from the water and pat dry.
- 5.Sprinkle the fat side with a little flaked sea salt and place into a baking dish with the cranberry juice. Cook in the preheated oven for 1 ½ hours.
- 6.Remove and allow to rest.
- 7.Combine the plum sauce, chilli, white sugar and pan juices into a small saucepan and stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 8.Cut the pork belly into squares. Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat with a little olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Place the pork belly squares into the pan, fat side down and sear for 2 minutes. Turn and brown on the other side. Drizzle over a little sauce to glaze.
- 9.Serve on individual plates with baby bok choy and a vegetable spring roll in a pool of chilli spiced plum sauce.
Pork may also be served sliced on a large platter for entertaining. The Pork belly can also be roasted without soaking if you are short on time.