Slow cooked pork shoulder with honey and ginger beer
Prep time 15 minutes Cook time 3 hours
Serves 4 people
- •1 x 1.5-2kg pork shoulder, boneless
- •400ml ginger beer
- •1 teaspoon ground ginger
- •½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- •2 blood oranges, juice and zest
- •½ cup honey
- •1 green apple, diced
- •30g butter
- •¼ cup brown sugar
- •1 cup fruit chutney
- 1.Preheat oven to 160°C.
- 2.Place pork shoulder in a deep baking dish, rind side up.
- 3.Combine the ginger beer, ground ginger, nutmeg, blood orange juice and zest in a large bowl and pour over the pork shoulder.
- 4.Drizzle the honey over the pork shoulder and cover with a piece of baking paper. Cover dish with a double layer of foil.
- 5.Fill an oven-proof dish with water and place on the top of the pork shoulder.
- 6.Place the weighted down pork in the oven and slow cook for 2 ½ - 3 hours, until pork is soft and liquid is syrupy. Rest for 10 minutes.
- 7.Whilst pork is cooking, melt butter in a small saucepan and sauté diced apples for 2 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar and cook stirring for a further 2 minutes.
- 8.Stir in the fruit chutney and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool prior to serving.
- 9.To serve, slice the pork into thick slices or squares and serve drizzled with the syrup from the baking dish. Serve with roasted vegetables and apple chutney.
Pork shoulder is a delicious alternative to pork belly.