Slow Cooked Spare Rib Jambalaya
Serves 6 people
Spare ribs, like belly, slow cook well as they have plenty of tougher connective tissue. That said, it’s also important to avoid overcooking them as they can become dry – this means never increasing the heat, nor extending the cooking time by too much for either.
- •800g spare ribs
- •sea salt flakes and freshly-ground black pepper
- •2 tablespoons oil
- •1 cup diced pepperoni
- •2 cups sautéed vegetables (celery, carrot, onion, garlic)
- •4 bay leaves
- •1½ tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- •1 cup long grain rice
- •2 cups beef stock
- •400g can diced tomatoes
- •4 cups spinach leaves
- 1.Season the spare ribs generously with salt and pepper, then rub with oil.
- 2.Fry the pepperoni in a large heavy-based lidded saucepan for 5 minutes, until browned, then add the spare ribs and cook for 10 minutes, until browned.
- 3.Mix in the remaining ingredients, fit the lid, then reduce the heat to low. Cook for 3 hours, until the pork and rice is tender and the sauce has thickened. If using a slow cooker, transfer to cooking insert and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. Fold in spinach leaves, then serve.