Slow-Cooker Chinese Pork & Mushrooms
Prep time 20 minutes Cook time 3 hours 45 minutes
Serves 6 people
- •1.5 kg pork scotch fillet, trimmed and cut into 4-5cm pieces
- •1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- •5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- •5cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- •2/3 cup soy sauce
- •1 cup Chinese cooking wine
- •½ cup dark brown sugar
- •2 teaspoons sesame oil
- •2 cinnamon sticks
- •4 whole star anise
- •200g shiitake mushrooms, trimmed (halve larger mushrooms lengthways)
- •150g oyster mushrooms (halve larger mushrooms lengthways)
- •Coriander leaves and steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- 1.Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Brown pork in batches, tossing often, until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- 2.Add garlic and ginger to the pan and cook, stirring, for a minute or until fragrant. Add soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine and brown sugar to the pan. Bring to the boil, stirring until sugar dissolves, over medium heat.
- 3.Pour soy mixture into the slow cooker. Add pork, sesame oil, cinnamon sticks and star anise. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- 4.Add shiitake mushrooms. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Toss through oyster mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes until just tender. Sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve with steamed jasmine rice.