Apricot & Maple Glazed Aussie Ham
Prep time 25 minutes Cook time 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves 18 people
- •1 x 7-8kg ham leg, skin removed
- •Whole cloves (you’ll need about 50), for studding the ham
Spiced apricot & maple glaze
- •¾ apricot jam
- •¼ cup maple syrup
- •3 star anise
- •1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- •½ teaspoon allspice
- 1.Preheat oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan-forced.
- 2.Using a sharp knife, score the ham fat (not the flesh) in a grid pattern at 2cm wide intervals. Insert a clove into the centre of each square of fat.
- 3.Wrap the ham hock in foil (this prevents it from burning). Place the ham on a greased rack in a large baking dish lined with foil. For ease use a large disposable foil roasting dish.
- 4.To make the glaze, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring, over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 5.Brush ham two to three times with the glaze to evenly coat the ham fat. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, brushing with remaining marinade every 15 minutes, until ham is golden and caramelised. Arrange star anise (used in the glaze) on the ham in the last 15 minutes of baking.
- 6.Set aside to cool for 30 minutes. Slice and serve.