Spiced Pork Sausage Rolls
Prep time 40 minutes Cook time 30 minutes
Serves 18 people
- •1 kg pork mince
- •1 medium Granny Smith apple, cored and roughly chopped
- •1 medium brown onion, roughly chopped
- •2 garlic cloves
- •½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- •¼ currants
- •¼ cup pine nuts
- •1 teaspoon ground cumin
- •1 ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, finely crushed
- •2 tsp pomegranate molasses (optional)
- •2 eggs
- •3 sheets frozen butter puff pastry
- •1 egg, lightly beaten
- •sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- •tomato chutney, to serve
- 1.Preheat oven to 220˚C fan-forced.
- 2.Place pork mince into a large bowl.
- 3.Place apple, onion and garlic in a small food processor. Process until finely chopped. Add apple mixture, breadcrumbs, currants, pine nuts, cumin, fennel seeds and pomegranate molasses (if using) to pork mince.
- 4.Season with salt and pepper. Lightly beat 1 egg and add to mixture. Using clean hands, mix until very well combined.
- 5.Whisk remaining egg in a cup. Place frozen pastry onto a clean bench to defrost.
- 6.Cut pastry sheets in half. Divide sausage mixture into 6 equal portions. Form into sausage shapes and place down the centre of each piece of pastry. Roll to enclose filling, placing pastry seam underneath. Place seam-side down on a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush with egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Score each pastry roll crossways twice.
- 7.Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Cool on pan for a few minutes. Slice sausage rolls and serve with tomato chutney.