Spicy Italian pork meatballs
Prep time 20 minutes Cook time 40 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •1kg pork mince
- •1 cup bread crumbs
- •½ bunch continental parsley, chopped
- •1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- •1 lemon, zested
- •Salt and pepper to taste
- •4 tablespoons olive oil
- •1 litre tomato Passata (pasta sauce)
- •½ cup sliced green olives
- •500ml chicken stock
- •1 tablespoon chilli flakes (optional)
- •100g tomato paste
- •Fresh crusty bread
- •Rocket leaf salad
- •Shaved Parmesan cheese
- •Chopped fresh parsley
- 1.In a large bowl combine the pork mince, bread crumbs, Italian herb seasoning, lemon zest, salt & freshly ground black pepper. Mix well.
- 2.Using wet hands, shape the mixture into 12 equal sized meatballs, place meatball on a tray and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 3.Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat and carefully brown the meatballs on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- 4.In a deep saucepan, combine the tomato passata sauce, chilli flakes, olives, chicken stock and tomato paste.
- 5.Heat the tomato sauce mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until the liquid boils. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- 6.Carefully place the meatballs into the simmering sauce, cover and simmer over low heat for a further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7.Serve 3 meatballs with sauce in each serving bowl. Sprinkle with shaved Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Serve hot with fresh crusty bread and rocket salad.
If you are gluten free replace the breadcrumbs with rice crumbs or gluten free breadcrumbs.