Spicy Vietnamese Pork Meatball Soup
Prep time 20 minutes Cook time 15 minutes
Serves 4 people
- •500g pork mince
- •2 garlic cloves, crushed
- •¼ cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- •1 green onion (shallot), trimmed and thinly sliced
- •½ teaspoon salt
- •¼ teaspoon white pepper
- •1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
- •1 stem lemongrass (white part only), crushed and finely sliced
- •1-2 (to your taste) small red bird’s eye chilli, deseeded and chopped
- •3 green onions (shallots), trimmed and thinly sliced
- •3 garlic cloves, crushed
- •8 cups chicken stock
- •¼ cup lime juice
- •2 ½ tablespoons fish sauce
- •1 bunch baby bok choy, trimmed and halved lengthways
- •Rice noodles
- •Coriander leaves, sliced red chilli and lime wedges
- 1.To make Vietnamese meatballs, combine pork mince, garlic and coriander in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Using about 1 tablespoon mixture per meatball, roll into small balls. Place onto a plate, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2.To make spicy broth, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add lemongrass, chilli, green onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- 3.Add stock, cover and bring to the boil. Add meatballs. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- 4.Stir in lime juice and fish sauce. Add bok choy and cook until bok choy wilts.
- 5.Ladle meatballs, bok choy and hot broth into deep serving bowls. Top with coriander and chilli and serve with lime wedges.