Sticky Pork Ribs
Serves 6 people
These sticky Aussie pork ribs will have you licking your fingers – they’re that good!
- •2-3 strips Australian pork ribs (about 2kg), each cut in half
- •2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- •2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- •2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- •2 tablespoons runny honey
- •1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- •4-5cm pieces fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- •3 cloves garlic, crushed
- •1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- •½ teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
- •2 spring onions, finely sliced
- •1 red chilli, finely sliced
- •1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- •Asian-style slaw
- 1.Place the pork ribs in a large non-metallic baking dish. In a bowl place the soy, hoisin and oysters sauces, honey, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, five spice powder and chilli flakes and mix together. Pour over the pork ribs and rub in. Cover and place in the fridge overnight
- 2.Preheat oven to 180°C. Remove pork ribs from the fridge and bring to room temperature. Pour ½ cup water into the dish, cover with foil and place in the oven. Cook for 1 hour
- 3.After 1 hour remove the foil and cook pork ribs uncovered for a further 1 hour, turning occasionally to prevent marinade from burning. (You can add in a little more water if the marinade is burning)
- 4.Remove pork ribs from the oven and place on a chopping board. Cut ribs into portions and place on a platter. Top with the spring onion, chilli and sesame seeds. Serve with Asian slaw to the side
Overnight marinating and long slow cooking gives you ribs that are tender and sticky.
Marinate and cook ribs in pieces or cut between each rib to give you individual ribs.
Pork ribs can be cooked ahead, then heat a char grill or flat plate on your barbecue, brush ribs with oil then place on the heat. Remove ribs once they are well coloured and hot.
Suggested dressing for Asian slaw – whisk together 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger, ½ cup pomegranate juice, ¼ cup rice wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon grapeseed or other vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon light soy sauce. Sweeten to taste with honey or sugar.