Traditional Curried Sausages
Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves 6 people
Sausages are not often slow cooked. Not because they can’t be, but because we just don’t have it in our repertoire. That said, because sausages are usually made from ground secondary cuts, there’s often a great tenderising effect.
- •12 pork sausages
- •2 tablespoons oil
- •2 cups chopped vegetables (onions, carrots, celery, garlic)
- •1 ½ tablespoons curry powder
- •2 cups chicken stock
- •¼ cup sultanas
- •1 green apple, grated
- •1 cup frozen peas
- •2 tablespoons cream
- 1.Fry the sausages in a large heavy-based saucepan set over a moderate heat in half the oil for 8-10 minutes, turning often, until browned and firm to touch. Set aside.
- 2.Sauté the vegetables in the remaining oil for 5 minutes, until lightly softened, then add the curry powder, stock, sultanas and apple. Bring to a simmer. If using a slow cooker, transfer to cooking insert.
- 3.Add the sausages and cook gently for 1 hour in the saucepan, or 4 hours in the slow cooker on low heat. Fold in the peas and cream, simmer briefly, then serve.