Traditional roast pork leg with crackling
Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 2 hours 30 minutes
Serves 6 people
- •1 x 2.5-3.5kg pork leg roast half (bone in, rind on)
- •Boiling water
- •2 tablespoons oil
- •1 tablespoon flaked salt
- •1kg floury potatoes, peeled (Sebago)
- •600g mixed vegetables (carrot, parsnip, onion)
- •Green peas
- 1.Preheat oven to 220°C.
- 2.Score the pork leg rind thinly with a Stanley knife or thin bladed sharp knife.
- 3.Pour boiling water over the pork leg roast and pat dry thoroughly with a paper towel.
- 4.Rub the salt and oil into the rind and place the pork leg roast into a large shallow baking dish.
- 5.Place the pork leg roast into the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 180°C for 40 minutes per kg. (3kg = 30 mins +2 hrs approx.)
- 6.Place potatoes in a large saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Boil for 4 minutes. Drain and dry potatoes on a paper towel.
- 7.Add potatoes to the baking dish 1 hour prior to removing roast from the oven. 30 minutes later add the remaining vegetables to the baking dish and baste with pan drippings.
- 8.Test by inserting a skewer into the thickest part of the roast. When ready, the juices run clear. Remove roast from the baking dish and rest in a warm place whilst vegetables continue to cook.
- 9.Serve the pork leg roast with the roast vegetables, peas and gravy.
Use the pan dripping from the roast to add flavour to your gravy.